1. 1. The DJs from Radio Rock. Because they were essentially hipster pirates.
Whether it’s shagging Rhys Ifans, having a Kinks singalong with Phillip Seymore Hoffman or just giving Chris O’ Dowd a cuddle, The Boat that Rocked (or Pirate Radio as it was re-titled for American release) had the coolest bunch of 60s cats on board. They were funny, they had a selection of excellent stetsons, and they were frigging pirates playing illegal rock music for crying out loud.
Okay, the movie was longer than The Nile, but at least that meant more time pretending we were legitimately their friends.
2. 2. The Breakfast Club. They all came from different backgrounds BUT OH MY GOD WHEN THEY GOT TOGETHER THEY WERE SO PERFECT.
Do we want to be in this gang just so we might have a chance with Judd Nelson? Possibly. But we’re totally into all those existential chats and running down many corridors too. Now if you excuse us, we have some perpetual sobbing to Simple Minds to be doing.
3. 3. The Goonies. Because when your home faces demolition and you must set upon an underground voyage against Spanish one eyed pirates, you just want your best mates around with you.
Plus, we wouldn’t mind giving The Fratellis a piece of our mind, either. Chelsea Dagger was a terrible song. (Bit of 2006 humour for you there.)
5. 5. The Avengers. Even our best friends sometimes get on our nerves.
Every friendship group needs their own Hulk.
7. 7. King Arthur & His Knights of the Round Table, because their defence tactics are the best in the business.
- At least 26 people have been treated by medics after a chemical incident at London City Airport.