30 Things You Probably Didn't Know About "Freaky Friday"
Kelly Osbourne was originally cast in the movie!
1. The movie was inspired by Freaky Friday, a 1972 novel by Mary Rodgers.
2. A 1976 Disney adaptation of the book was a zany farcical film of the same title starring teenage Jodie Foster.
3. Disney also produced a mostly forgotten made for TV version of the movie in 1995. It starred Gaby Hoffmann, who you might recognise from Sleepless in Seattle and GIRLS, as the daughter.
4. Kelly Osbourne was set to make her movie debut in the film, playing the lead singer of Anna's band, but dropped out when her mother was diagnosed with cancer.
5. Annette Bening was originally meant to play the part of Tess, the mother in the movie, but dropped out at the last minute.
6. Jamie Lee Curtis was in the middle of a book tour when she was offered the part of Tess, and only accepted when she was reassured that shooting wouldn't get in the way of her parenting commitments.
7. Freaky Friday was Lindsay Lohan's second movie released in theatres, after The Parent Trap in 1998.
8. The character of Anna was originally written as a goth, but Lohan believed this wouldn't work, as "No one could relate to the character when she was really goth, there was nothing there."
9. Lohan attended her audition wearing preppy Abercrombie & Fitch clothing, despite the goth character, so the studio ended up rewriting the part completely.
10. Lohan did her own grunge nails for the movie.
11. She had to be tutored on set because she was still in school, and studied The Bell Jar while making the movie.
12. To play an adult trapped in a teenage body, Lohan spent a long time learning how to replicate Curtis' posture.
13. For the movie Lohan had to teach Curtis how to say "shut up" in a typically "teenage" manner.
14. Curtis also credited her teenage daughter Annie for helping her get into the teenage mentality "Very early on, when she watched me do a rehearsal, she took me aside quietly afterward and said, 'You know Mom, you're trying too hard.'"
15. Being a teenager in the movie helped her to see what it's like on the other side of the parent teen relationship.
16. Curtis had to learn the guitar for the movie, so that the solo scene at the end would look authentic.
17. Her playing wasn't used on the soundtrack, but she believed she was up to such a good standard that it could have.
18. She got playing advice from her actor husband Christopher Guest who was the guitarist in the movie This Is Spinal Tap.
19. Lohan also learned guitar for the movie.
20. She and her fictional band Pinkslip regularly had band practice together before they began shooting.
21. Amir Derakh, the guitarist from the band Orgy, coached the girls on how to behave like a real band on stage.
22. Derakh had a cameo in the movie playing the MC at the House of Blues.
23. Lohan sang the song "Ultimate" for the movie's soundtrack, which can be heard at the end of the film.
24. Lohan's mother Dina can be seen dancing in the background of the final wedding scene.
25. The cover of Dr Tess Coleman's book Through the Looking Glass mirrors an edition of the book Freaky Friday.
26. The talk show host Dottie Robinson was played by Dina Spybey-Waters, director Mark Waters' wife.
27. Mark McClure who played the love interest in the 1976 version of the movie had a cameo as Boris the deliveryman who arrives at Tess's office.
28. Chad Michael Murray was not allowed to ride the motorbike during the movie and was only allowed to pose on it for scenes where it was stationary.
29. Lohan's first onscreen kiss was with Murray in this movie.
30. And it took two whole days to shoot that scene.