1. A location that used to have another purpose.
Like a car park, tube station, or a public toilet.
2. Some sort of novelty theme.
Options include a speakeasy, an '80s video game, the American Wild West, or "the war" (it doesn't matter which war – any war will do).
3. Bare Edison lightbulbs.
4. Random mismatching antique furniture.
5. And beer crate seats and pallet tables outside.
So great when you're wearing a skirt.
6. Prices like “5½” on the menu because they can NEVER show you the currency.
7. Beer served in mason jars.
8. Macaroni cheese as a bar snack.
9. Beers with silly names.
That you have to repeat many times at the bar over the loud music.