1. You always had to deal with annoying questions from people like “where are you REALLY from?"
2. You had to take a week off school to attend any family friend’s wedding.
3. You had to say no to sleepovers, even though ALL your friends would be there.
4. Your parents made you wear those god-awful rashies over your one-piece swimsuit.
5. While your friends had posters of Justin Timberlake on their walls, you were staring into the dreamy eyes of Shah Rukh Khan.
6. And your friends' parents listened to The Beatles while yours listened to Mohammed Rafi.
7. Your friends served meat pies, sausage rolls, and fairy bread at birthday parties but you were all about the samosas.
And those sweet, sweet jalebis.
8. When you wanted to go to the beach with your friends, you had to pack a cardigan or wide-brimmed hat to avoid being yelled at.
9. Which meant you always subconsciously wished you were white.
10. For your family, the time of year for present-giving was Diwali or Vaisakhi.
11. Tiny Teddies for recess? NOPE.
You were chowing down on some dhokla instead.
12. You could only dream when your friends were talking about the cute boys they had crushes on.
13. You also had to forget about socialising with boys full stop.
14. When you were in high school, the local library was more of a social place.
15. So basically, you had to lead a double life.
16. You always erupted in a fit of laughter during the scene in Bend It Like Beckham when Jess hugs Jules and the aunty rides by thinking she’s kissing a boy.
17. In fact, that entire movie just made you say “this is me AF”.
Thank you, Jesminder, for being an icon of our time.