The onion is okay! In a regular-looking onion, a bud makes a ring of fleshy leaves around itself (-> onion rings)— here it looks like several buds got started at the same time and had to compete for space. It looks a bit like a garlic bulb, which is a similar chubby-leaf type of deal.
- snailbean "Finding An '80s Taiwan In "On Suc..."
- snailbean "23 Dads Dancing"
Response to Can You Accurately Classify Fruits And Veggies?:
Aw man a strawberry is nothing like a pepo! Pepoes are characteristic of the Cucurbitae; strawberries are 1. a fleshy receptacle (the red part) with 2. Lots of tiny fruits, called achenes (the “seeds”).
- snailbean "19 Times "A Hard Day's Night..."
- snailbean "26 Unexpected Places To Find Satan"
- snailbean "Inside China's Insane Witch Hunt ..."
- snailbean "The Fine Art Of Mixtape Seduction"
- snailbean "Stop What You're Doing And Look A..."
- snailbean "If Stevie Nicks Ran A Weather Forecast"
I’m so, so excited for this book. John’s first book, Master of Reality (about the Sabbath album), is also awesome— he reads an excerpt here. http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=88696059&m=88685399.
(“like a big angry baby of evil destruction” is a feeling I thank John for giving me words for.)