1. Following the election, many LGBT Americans have been left feeling anxious and disappointed. Many people in the transgender community have expressed added pressure to have their gender and identification documents in order before Trump officially takes office in January.
4. Figuring that others might be feeling the same sense of urgency and anxiety following the election, the 30-year-old New Yorker told BuzzFeed News they decided to start the hashtag to connect trans people with legal aid.
“Personally, I’d been putting off documentation changes because I figured I’d have time,” the creator of the hashtag added. “Well, time could be up.”
10. Chase Strangio, a staff attorney with the ACLU, told BuzzFeed News he is offering his services to “connect people to information that they need.”
“Particularly on a day like today, when so many communities are in mourning and in fear, it feels important to provide support in any way possible way,” Strangio said.
“I have no idea what to expect in the coming months, but I recognize that for many people it can be terrifying to have identification documents that don’t match who you are — the process for updating those documents can be arduous and complicated.”
Strangio did not identify any direct threat to updating IDs posed by the Trump administration, as changes to driver’s licenses and birth certificates are handled at the state or county level.
11. Tim Bingham, who only just passed his bar exam this past summer, said he felt compelled to offer his services after the election results left him and his wife feeling especially helpless.
“We know we are white, middle-class, cisgendered individuals and that the election results may not affect us but it most definitely will affect people in other communities, like trans individuals,” Bingham told BuzzFeed News.
For anyone seeking legal aid, Strangio suggests starting with The National Center for Trans Equality which has excellent resources for tracking the various policies.
- Fyre Festival — organized by Ja Rule and billed as a luxury event — has turned into a total shitshow and people are livid 💸😱
- We found about one false statement per day from Trump and his aides throughout the president's first 100 days in office 💯
- The new leader of Marine Le Pen's National Front party in France has stepped down amid accusations of Holocaust denial.
- Arkansas executed Kenneth Williams Thursday night — just days before one of the state's execution drugs expires.