1. Kristen Beck is the first out transgender Navy Seal:
Beck, who has been awarded a Bronze Star and Purple Heart, has been deployed 13 times, serving in places such as Bosnia, Afghanistan and Iraq. She did not come out as transgender until 2011, after she had completed her service, due to the fact transgender men and women are currently banned from service in the military.
“No one ever met the real me,” she says about the years she spent in the military. She kept this secret buried deep, even from the men and women she trusted her life with.
2. Last week, she released her book Warrior Princess, which details her personal coming out story.
4. She sat down with Anderson Cooper to discuss her coming out process:
5. She revealed that part of the reason she became a Seal was in hopes it would make her feminine side “disappear.”
8. Kristen notes that her coming out is only the beginning of the journey:
- Several people were stabbed during a white nationalist protest in Sacramento.
- Thousands flooded New York City's streets to celebrate Pride on Sunday. It was a colorful party of love and acceptance.
- Brexit fallout turns into political chaos in Britain: More than 10 opposition party members resigned in an effort to force Jeremy Corbyn to quit.