1. Kristen Beck is the first out transgender Navy Seal:
Beck, who has been awarded a Bronze Star and Purple Heart, has been deployed 13 times, serving in places such as Bosnia, Afghanistan and Iraq. She did not come out as transgender until 2011, after she had completed her service, due to the fact transgender men and women are currently banned from service in the military.
“No one ever met the real me,” she says about the years she spent in the military. She kept this secret buried deep, even from the men and women she trusted her life with.
2. Last week, she released her book Warrior Princess, which details her personal coming out story.
4. She sat down with Anderson Cooper to discuss her coming out process:
5. She revealed that part of the reason she became a Seal was in hopes it would make her feminine side “disappear.”
8. Kristen notes that her coming out is only the beginning of the journey:
- "It was a wick": Artists, friends, and survivors describe what it was like inside the Oakland warehouse party fire that left at least 9 dead.
- After deciding to end her request for a statewide recount in Pennsylvania, Jill Stein announced she plans to take the issue to federal court Monday.
- Thousands holding flags gathered in Cuba Saturday night to remember the life of Fidel Castro. His burial took place on Sunday.
- "Saturday Night Live" spoofed Donald Trump retweeting weird people, just like the real president-elect 📱😂