1. One New York subway passenger decided to silence an anti-gay preacher on the M train with the power of song: a glorious rendition of “I’ve Got a Golden Ticket,” to be exact.
3. The man singing in the video, Rob Maiale, reached out to BuzzFeed News with his side of the story:
I was riding the M train in from Bushwick when this man (who I’ve seen bothering riders before) begin preaching to passengers. Initially he was going on about fornication, okay fine. Then he started denouncing same sex relationships. It’s an unpopular opinion in New York and it irritated me a bit, but I understand 1st Amendment rights, and didn’t say anything. Then, his “preaching” shifted from a broad audience to a lesbian couple with their child. Asking, “What are you going to tell that child when he asks why you’re living in sin and going to go to hell?” I decided that this guy wasn’t going to get to talk anymore.
I myself and neither religious, nor gay, but if you want to live in this city, you need to learn how to be civil.
5. And what happens when the preacher tries to yell over this glorious melody?
7. “What the man was saying was so absurd and hateful that I figured the most disarming thing would be something equally absurd and joyful,” said Rob of his song choice.
“It’s a snapshot from my childhood that embodies joy, overcoming adversity…and candy.”
9. Grandpa Joe would be proud.
- The 36 victims in the Oakland warehouse fire were trapped with "no way out" in America's deadliest blaze in over a decade.
- UK intelligence chief says he's worried by rival countries' attempts to undermine democracy through propaganda, cyberattacks.
- Dozens of employees and patients say the US's biggest psychiatric chain locks up people for insurance money.
- This dad had the most adorable freak out to his family when he met his first alpaca 😂