2. Artist Chris Ware writes in his cover story blog:
Now that the numbers are in on same-sex marriage, many Republicans are falling like dominos all over themselves to express their support for something that only a few months ago they steadfastly claimed to stand against. They’ll probably soon claim that this is how they felt all along, and they were simply too hamstrung by politics to be able to say what they really meant. Well, okay. In the spirit of openheartedness and what life is really all about, I’ll go so far as to say that the fear of others may mask some deep-seated desire to understand, and maybe even to love. Because really, what is there to be afraid of? Few people today don’t know—or have in their families—at least one loving couple who are raising children, same-sex or not. And it’s really just the loving part that matters. That same-sex marriage could go from its preliminary draft of “diagnosable” to the final edit of “so what?” must indicate some positive evolution on the part of the larger human consciousness. My wife, being a biology teacher, puts it even more succinctly: “Why are all these people so worried about who everybody else is sleeping with, anyway?”
- Donald Trump was sworn in as the 45th president of the United States of America. 🇺🇸
- Anti-Trump protesters and police clash in Washington, DC, during the inauguration. Cars and storefronts have been vandalized, over 90 arrested.
- US officials didn't know drug lord Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán was being extradited from Mexico to the United States until the day it happened.
- And as many as eight survivors have been found after a deadly avalanche buried a hotel in Italy.