1. Out athletes aren’t the only ones having to make tough decisions regarding the upcoming 2014 Sochi Olympics in Russia.
Many LGBT athletes are struggling with how to best act in regards to competing in a nation currently banning homosexual propaganda.
2. Musician Elton John recently discussed his feelings on the topic with The Guardian.
When the singer performed in Russia earlier this year, he was asked to wear “more respectable” attire, such as a knee-length caftan, by the head of the local branch of the Communists of Russia.
3. The singer explained he felt obligated to go there himself:
6. In comparison, Cher recently stated she turned down a chance to give the opening performance in Sochi due to the nation’s anti-gay laws.
“I immediately said no. I want to know why all of this gay hate just exploded over there. He said the Russian people don’t feel the way the government does.”
8. With no end to Russia’s state-sanctioned homophobia in sight, Elton John isn’t the first and certainly won’t be the last public figure with a difficult choice to make about exactly how to show solidarity Russia’s LGBT community.
- Donald Trump said that his comments about Sweden were referring to a Fox News segment, not an actual incident in the country 🇸🇪🙃
- The CEO of Uber is investigating sexism and sexual harassment claims after a former employee said her reports were ignored.
- Geologists say they've discovered an eighth continent beneath New Zealand. "Zealandia" is 94% submerged underwater 🔎🌍
- The US ambassador to Somalia gave the country's new president a "Make Somalia Great Again" hat and the exchange was ~confusing~.