1. Wendy and Tom Montgomery are devout Mormons from California:
4. This family’s struggle to balance their faith, while also accepting their son’s sexuality, is at the center of a new film Families Are Forever.
6. Wendy Montgomery discovered the truth through an entry in her son’s journal. She said of her reaction:
“I felt like what I saw his life would be – what I expected his life to be – as a Mormon boy was now gone. I saw him preparing for a mission for our church – gone. I saw a temple wedding – gone. I saw him being a father – gone.”
8. Jordan struggled with his place in the Mormon community as well:
10. His mother told him, “‘Jordan, this changes nothing. You are perfect in our eyes. We will figure this out.”
According to an ABC report, Jordan is now a Boy Scout working toward his Eagle Scout badge. The Mormon church has accepted the BSA policy to allow openly gay youth. Because Jordan is not sexually active, he holds “an Aaronic priesthood in the church, which means he can pass the sacrament in a ceremony akin to a Catholic communion.”
11. Watch a clip from the documentary:
12. The short film is part of a series from Family Acceptance Project. They describe the films on their website:
These videos are based on our years of research and relationships with diverse LGBT youth and their families […] These videos – and the others we want to make – includes some of the family accepting and rejecting behaviors that we have studied. Our research shows for the first time how these family accepting and rejecting behaviors affect an LGBT young person’s health and mental health, including risk for suicide, substance abuse, HIV, self-esteem, etc.
Check out more here.
- Some of Donald Trump's diehard supporters say they have mixed feelings about watching — much less paying for — Trump TV.
- The Obama administration delayed trans workers' protections for years after a landmark civil rights decision 🔎🌈
- A powerful magnitude-6.1 earthquake struck Italy Wednesday night, hours after a smaller magnitude-5.5 quake struck the same region.
- Facebook keeps promoting fake news. Experts say its trending algorithm can't stop it—and it could get worse ❌📰