The alt-folk singer went on a homophobic tirade earlier this month which prompted mass cancellations of her U.S. tour. She came out with a statement explaining she was indeed misunderstood, and her words were taken out of context. In an open letter to fans she wrote, “I’m very sorry: I don’t always express myself as clearly as I should.”
With most of her future shows cancelled, she took action by staging a strange sit-in at one of her cancelled venues, Moe’s Alley in Santa Cruz. The The Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that the tape across her mouth said “Silenced By Fear.” When asked a question, Shocked shook her head vigorously and strummed her guitar…She pointed to a sign inviting people to pick up a Sharpie marker and write on the white disposable safety suit she was wearing. Moe’s Alley owner Bill Welch had replaced her with bands Beaver Fever and Frootie Flavors.
3. Earlier in the day, she had tweeted her plans:
Moe’s in S Cruz tonight ok? Its an art project ‘My Summer Vacation’ I want your autograph. Bring Sharpie. #truthvsreality #shortsharpshocked— Michelle Shocked
7. Some footage of the sit-in:
- The Pentagon is repealing its ban on transgender people serving openly in the U.S. military.
- Donald Trump secretly listened in on phone calls at his landmark Florida estate Mar-a-Lago, sources tell BuzzFeed News.
- Ready for the U.S. presidential election in November? It's #TurnUpToVote week at BuzzFeed and you can register here 🇺🇸