1. The 20-year-old son of basketball great Magic Johnson is surprised by the recent public interest in his sexuality.
Earvin Johnson III, known as E.J., says he feels like he’s coming out of the closet a second time and that he’s “reveling” in the experience, even though news of his sexual orientation broke publicly sooner than he had planned.
2. In a YouTube interview with Howard Bragman he spoke out on the subject:
Howard Bragman: How did this all feel, and how was the initial response?
EJ: Umm, for me it was really surprising. I didn’t think it would be THAT big of a deal since I’d been out to my family and friends for at least five years now. So I think it was almost as if I was coming out of the closet again […] reliving the experience has been both exciting and … interesting rather. I’ve been through it before, but just to have the media and everyone involved has been a completely different experience. But I’m reveling in it. I’m enjoying the experience.
3. His response to the negative comments he has received:
4. On the support from his family:
Johnson said he first came out to his mother, who approached him when he was 13 or 14. Here he is pictured (left) with his mother, Cookie Johnson, at the Seventh Annual Dream Halloween To Benefit Children Affected By AIDS Foundation event on October 28, 2000.
5. On his future:
I would love to become my own personality […]really be a voice for the generation. As well as the voice for young gay people who need someone to be on TV or wherever else to talk to them and talk about all kinds of issues that all of us face and not just homosexual issues but all kinds of issues […] I definitely want to set a really good example.
6. Watch the full Interview:
- Democratic National Committee Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz will step down at the end of the party's convention amid an email controversy.
- Russia won't be banned from the Rio Olympics but its athletes need to pass new anti-doping tests to compete, the IOC ruled.
- Chris Froome has won the Tour de France. He's the first Brit to win the cycling race three times 🚴