3. This show is for you if you have ever sobbed like this:
6. Creator and star Amy Rubin spoke to BuzzFeed about her experience with the series:
Amy Rubin: I didn’t specifically set out to write anything ‘gay,’ that’s just part of my experience and voice […] I really wanted to express these very small, little, personal atrocities that I have tendency to call “not that big of a deal” - because they’re not. But to the person experiencing them they’re horrific.
On what she is watching:
AR: I love a lot of TV shows and web series, all the obvious ones - Girls, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl. I always want to see shows like those, but with lesbian or queer leads and storylines. I know I can’t be the only one tired of digging around the same, sad Netflix queue of “LGBT films with strong female leads.” I figured if I wrote my own show, it would inherently have some pretty gay storylines. I really believe there’s an audience for this kind of series.
On the show’s awkward humor:
AR: There’s nothing more excruciating to me than a greeting or a good-bye. I find the moment when you have to decide if you’re shaking hands, real hugging, air hugging, waving, or cheek kissing to be the most unbearable interaction and one I undoubtedly get wrong every, single, time. I really wanted to explore the tragic humor in those tiny but potentially catastrophic moments.
On her hopes for the web series:
AR:: My hope is that this show can fill a gap that’s out there in entertainment. There is just so much good boundary-pushing comedy right now on TV, and online, and I love so much of it but I want a lead or two to not be straight - it’s time.
Girl, we hear you.
11. Cynthia Stevenson from Dead Like Me:
And Tom Virtue!
12. Watch the series premiere:
- Former British prime minister Tony Blair says there are elements of the Brexit debate "happening the world over."
- Uber documents provided to BuzzFeed News suggest that price cuts don't always raise driver wages 🚗💸
- U.S Department of Defense is expected to end its ban on transgender military service in July.