1. Kaitlyn Hunt, the 18-year-old Florida cheerleader charged with two counts of lewd and lascivious battery on a minor, her 15-year-old high school girlfriend, rejected a plea bargain today.
If convicted, Hunt faces up to 15 years in prison and would have to register as a sex offender.
2. At the press conference concerning her case, she was overwhelmed with emotion and unable to speak:
When later asked how she was doing, Kaitlyn responded, “Everyday is different. Some days i’m my happy self, and some days i’m overwhelmed, other days i’m scared… so it’s just kinda like I have my days.”
In response to accusations that the family is seeking special treatment because kaitlyn was in a same-sex relationship, Kaitlyn’s lawyer, Charles Sullivan, emphasizes, “The gender, sexual orientation, of the parties has absolutely nothing to do with the prosecution.”
If the family had accepted the plea deal, Kaitlyn would still have been considered a convicted felon and had to have attended sex offender counseling.
4. Kaitlyn said on Today, “I’m definitely hoping for a better plea deal. If not, we will just have to do everything we can to win the fight.”
- Donald Trump will soon be the last Republican standing. Ohio Gov. John Kasich will reportedly end his presidential run 🇺🇸
- Prime Minister David Cameron has bowed to pressure for the UK to accept more unaccompanied child refugees.
- Spelman and Morehouse — elite, historically black U.S. colleges — have again been forced to address sexual violence after an alleged gang rape.