3. The passed proposal ensured:
• Collegedale employees who are legally married in any state that recognizes their marriage will be provided spousal and family health insurance.
• Any employee seeking such coverage must produce an official marriage document of the state in which they were married to the Human Resources Manager.
• This policy will go into effect at the beginning of the next renewal period of the city’s employee health insurance program, which is in January.
4. The couple, who were married in Maryland earlier this year, were overjoyed by the decision.
5. What the couple did not expect was for the family’s church, The Ridgedale Church Of Christ, to become involved.
7. According to The Chattanooga Times, the church stated, “They could repent for their sins and ask forgiveness in front of the congregation. Or leave the church.”
9. Pastor Ken Willis attempted to explain the Church’s actions:
The sin would be endorsing that lifestyle. The Bible speaks very plainly about that. But you certainly can’t condone that lifestyle, whether it’s any kind of sin — whether they’re shacked up with someone or living in a state of fornication or they’re guilty of crimes […] You don’t condone it. You still love them as a parent.
10. The community reaction to the church’s actions have been mixed:
- Fans of Donald Trump say Bill Clinton's past indiscretions are fair game at the next debate.