2. This past Wednesday morning, New Yorkers gathered at Stonewall to await the Supreme Court’s rulings on Prop 8 and DOMA:
3. The scene was warm, welcoming, and full of joy as patrons celebrated the decisions:
8. Later that evening, the streets outside Stonewall were once again filled with smiling faces as a rally was held in celebration:
18. Scott G. Brown, one of the oldest surviving veterans of the Stonewall Inn raid, said of that night:
They were all pretty, prissy, and made up, with their tight dresses and high heels. As the policemen pushed and hurried them to the waiting paddy wagons, one of the drag queens’ heels broke off, so she removed both her shoes as the nudging and poking with billy clubs continued. One of the drag queens nudged a policeman in the groin with an elbow while another threw a shoe that struck another officer. Then all hell broke loose! Bottles, rocks, and garbage-can Lids went flying through the air as the cops called for backup!
21. Author David Carter wrote of the riots:
“The true legacy of the Stonewall riots is the ongoing struggle for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender equality. While the fight is far from over, it is now a worldwide movement that has won many significant victories, most of them flowing from those six days in the summer of 1969 when gay people found the courage to stand up for themselves on the streets of Greenwich Village.”
22. David Velasco Bermudez, 73, celebrated the Supreme Court decisions at the Castro in San Francisco, but he carried Stonewall in his heart:
He was hit with a billy club during the riot at the Stonewall Inn in New York City on June 27, 1969.
23. With the historic events of this week, and Pride celebrations continuing all over the country, it’s a great time to appreciate how far we have come.
25. The spirit of Stonewall lives on due to the people who are still fighting.
26. Those who refuse to stop what a few brave individuals started 44 years ago.
- The White House tried to stop Congress from blaming Russia for election-related cyberattacks, BuzzFeed News has learned.
- Monday night's first presidential debate between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton was a horse show for undecided voters.
- Ready to die on Mars? Cool, because Elon Musk needs candidates for SpaceX missions 😳 🚀