1. April Ashley’s life is the focus of a new exhibition at The Museum Of Liverpool.
April Ashley: Portrait of a Lady will depict April’s “very public story” and “investigate the wider impact of changing social and legal conditions for all trans and lesbian, gay and bisexual people.”
12. In an interview with The Telegraph, she described her decision to have, what was then regarded as, an incredibly controversial gender reassignment surgery.
I knew by then that I would kill myself if I didn’t have it. So when I had the money I wrote to Dr Borou and he said, ‘Please come over when you want.’ When I saw him, he said, ‘Why would a beautiful girl like you want to become a man?’ I said, ‘No, no, Dr Borou – it’s the other way round.’”
16. As suddenly as she found success, it all came crashing down.
19. The marriage derailed with an extremely public and brutal divorce trial.
Corbett petitioned for divorce in 1967 on the grounds that April was born male and therefore the marriage was actually illegal. The judge stated that she was “not a woman for the purposes of marriage.”
22. Learn more:
- President Trump may have initially blamed Democrats for Friday's failed health care bill but it took only two days for him to start blaming Republicans, too.
- The Trump administration is silent hours after Russia arrested hundreds of people protesting corruption under Putin.
- United Airlines stopped 3 girls from flying because they were wearing leggings, and said the rule only applies to travelers on "company benefit travel."
- 'Orange Is The New Black' actor Samira Wiley and writer Lauren Morelli are officially married and tied the knot in Palm Springs 🌴