40 Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Rubik's Cube
The insanely addictive puzzle is 40 this year. Happy Birthday!
You probably noticed today's Google Doodle right?
8. Rubik's solid cube twisted and turned - and yet did not break or fall apart. Some people are still trying to work it out.
10. Over 350 million Rubik’s Cubes have been sold worldwide – making it the bestselling toy of all time.
12. With six coloured sides, 21 pieces and 54 outer surfaces, there's a combined total of over 43 QUINTILLIOIN different possible configurations.
13. If you turned Rubik's Cube once every second it would take you 1400 TRILLION YEARS to finish to go through all the configurations.
16. The current world record holder is Mats Valk from the Netherlands. Who completed the puzzle in 5.55 seconds.
17. He was pretty happy!!!
19. Some speed-cubers go for style points over raw speed.
20. This guy took a whole 25 seconds. But he was doing one-handed push-ups AT THE SAME TIME!
21. Another dude took 28.80 seconds to solve the puzzle BLINDFOLDED!
22. A three-year-old in China solved the puzzle in under two minutes.
23. And then there's this guy, clocking in at ten minutes, using his nipple. Oh, internet.
26. Hell, even Mantis Shrimp can do the puzzle.
29. The winner was Minh Thai (USA) with a relatively slow (compared to modern times) solve of 22.95 seconds.
31. The world's largest Rubik's Cube is located in Knoxville, Tennessee. It is three metres tall and weighs over 500kg.
35. The most expensive cube ever produced is the Masterpiece Cube, created by Diamond Cutters International in 1995.
36. This actual size, fully-functional cube features 22.5 carats of amethyst, 34 carats of rubies and 34 carats of emeralds, all set in 18-carat gold, and has been valued at $1.5m.
38. In 1981, British pop group, The Barron Knights released a song called Mr. Rubik which appeared on their album Twisting The Knights Away. The song is about a person who is going crazy after playing a Rubik's Cube.
39. In 2011 Cubeworks, a Toronto collective, recreated more than 40 famous artworks with Rubik's Cubes.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY RUBIK'S CUBE!!!
An earlier version of this post did not properly cite a source for the explanation of the ingenious internal mechanism that powers Rubik's cube.