1. Sir Isaac Newton discovered that color is made up of white light.
Through a series of experiments, Newton discovered that when white light is shone through a prism, it refracts (or is broken up) into its component colors (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and violet) to form a rainbow.
2. They are also the same colors seen in a rainbow.
3. Each color is believed to have a psychological effect on our emotions.
4. For instance, red is often associated with warmth, hunger, anger, and hostility.
5. While blue is many times related to coolness, trust, serenity, and logic.
6. Many use chromotherapy (or color therapy) to treat certain types of cancer.
7. Psychiatrist Carl Jung believed in the effectiveness of art therapy and attempted to find the true subconscious meaning behind each color.
Picasso experimented with the use of color to convey emotion in his art, namely in his Blue and Rose periods.