1. Sam Smith won an Oscar Sunday night!
For his song, “Writing’s on the Wall” with Jimmy Napes.
2. Aaaand then he gave his speech, where he mentioned he might be the first openly gay man to win an Oscar:
3. But the problem is…other out LGBT people have won an Oscar.
In his speech, Sam referenced a quote from Sir Ian McKellan who told The Guardian, “No openly gay man has ever won the Oscar; I wonder if that is prejudice or chance.” But Ian was actually referring to the Best Actor category.
5. Elton John has won an Oscar.
For “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” from The Lion King.
6. As has Stephen Sondheim.
For “Sooner or Later (I Always Get My Man)” from Dick Tracy.
7. Aaaaand Dustin Lance Black.
He wrote Milk.
8. Oh, and Melissa Etheridge.
For “I Need to Wake Up” from An Inconvenient Truth.
9. Countless others — openly gay and not — have also won Oscars. Like Howard Ashman, Jodie Foster, Joel Grey, Linda Hunt…
11. UPDATE: Here’s the moment Sam Smith found out he was actually wrong about being the first openly gay person to win an Oscar.
In the press room he jokingly said “fuck that” at hearing the news, followed by “two is my lucky number, so it’s all good.”
12. Later, in an interview with Good Morning Britain, he said, “I think I am the second openly gay man to win it.”
Additional reporting by Scott Bryan.
14. UPDATE: Ian McKellen has tweeted this.
15. UPDATE: Sam Smith has responded to the controversy.
18. Oh, and he has also responded to Dustin Lance Black calling him out.
21. To which Dustin replied…
- Donald Trump accused former Miss Universe Alicia Machado of being in a sex tape, calling her "disgusting." He's appeared in a softcore porn.
- The hair vitamins promoted by the Kardashians make "largely inaccurate" nutrient claims, according to lab tests.
- In a newly released video deposition, Trump implied he planned to call Mexicans "rapists" when he announced his presidential run.