Hey there. I'm Shelby, and I've had Invisalign for about two years.
Invisalign is an orthodontic system that uses plastic aligner trays to straighten and correct your teeth, much like traditional braces. The aligners are custom-made and fit directly onto your teeth, shifting them into position. They're kind of like retainers, except you wear them all day as opposed to just at night.
I was pretty excited when I found out I qualified for Invisalign as opposed to traditional braces. Mostly because the aligners are clear, and Invisalign markets itself as providing a lot more freedom than braces (more on that later).
But there have been a ton of things I didn't expect throughout my Invisalign journey that I think are worth sharing, especially for anyone considering treatment as an adult. So without further ado, here's everything I've learned from wearing Invisalign for two years straight.
1. It's going to HURT sometimes.
2. And you're going to get canker sores. Sorry 'bout it.
3. Your speech might be a little funky at first.
4. You'll essentially be wearing them 24/7.
5. Your Invisalign case quickly becomes your lifeline.
6. So does this little chewy guy.
7. You can basically kiss random snacking goodbye.
8. Ditto on drinking (kinda).
9. You can't exactly eat ANYTHING you want.
10. Events with lots of eating/drinking become a real judgment call.
11. You need to clean your teeth and trays before putting the trays back in.
12. If you don't floss already, you're gonna want to start.
13. There's no guarantee you won't have brackets (or as they're called in Invisalign land, "buttons") on your teeth.
14. And you might also have rubber bands.
15. And those rubber bands. will. be. EVERYWHERE!!!
16. And chances are, the rubber bands will also snap.
17. You'll probably end up having Invisalign longer than you ever hoped or intended.
18. But in the end, they're still pretty worth it.
Note: please consult with your dentist/orthodontist before deciding to pursue Invisalign or any other orthodontic treatment.