1. The Internet is abuzz after a bizarre and unverified recording of Egyptian General Abdel El Fattah El Sisi saying he can foresee the future in his dreams — including that he will one day become president — was leaked on Wednesday.
The recording, which has not been verified by any official source, was supposedly leaked from off-the-record comments Sisi gave during an official interview with the Egyptian daily newspaper, Al-Masry Al-Youm, in October. Rumors over the tape’s source abounded: some claimed it was false and a ploy, perhaps by the Muslim Brotherhood, to discredit Sisi; others speculated the government had orchestrated the leak to test public opinion of a Sisi presidency.
The claims, whether true or not, are outlandish. The speaker claims he can foresee future events through dreams and described three that allegedly allude to Sisi’s predestined presidency: 35 years ago he dreamed that he was holding a sword with the words, “There is no God but Allah,” while wearing an Omega watch adorned with a big green star. In another dream, he met the late President Anwar el-Sadat who told him he would be president. In a third unconscious incident, a voice proclaimed, “We will grant you what no one has had before.”
3. Many in Egypt weren’t sure what to make of it all.
I wonder why I write satire when reality is weirder, here’s the translation of Sisi’s actual ‘dream’ interview: http://t.co/rFZIibS5HQ
@pmdfoster meanwhile Egypt’s Gen Sisi allegedly says he was told to be president in a dream about an Omega watch. #couldntmakeitup
5. Some thought his mentions of “raising a blood sword” and having a conversation with Sadat’s ghost were a little scary.
After hearing the leaked interview with the Omega watch, for the first time I’m really scared of #Sisi
#Sisi dreamt to be a president.. All what he wanted was an Omega watch.. Psychopath behind bloody coup http://t.co/uSfs52bj0d via @youtube
Sisi had a dream 35 years ago that one day he would be president of Egypt. Electoral observers declared the dream elections ‘fair and free’.
@seldeeb @hany2m @SameralAtrush “I am the Alpha and the Omega” Revelation 22:13. Sisi is quoting the bible, can someone please tell Ekhwan?
Proud to wear an Omega like Sisi
10. And of course, many wondered when the Omega/Sisi advertisement campaign would launch.
Ù…ØµØ±Ù‰ Ùˆ Ø£Ø¨ÙˆÙŠØ§ Ù…ØµØ±Ù‰ â“‚
ÙƒÙ„ Ø§Ù„Ø¹Ø¨ÙŠØ¯ Ø¨ØªØØ¨Ùƒ ØŒ ÙƒÙ„ Ø§Ù„Ø¹Ø¨ÙŠØ¯ (Ù…Ø¬Ø§Ù†ÙŠÙ†) Ø·Ø¨Ø¹Ø§Ù‹ ÙŠØ§ Ø³ÙŠØ³ÙŠ ÙŠØ§ Ø¨Ø®ØªÙƒ ØŒ Ø³Ø§Ø¹ØªÙƒ Ø¬Ø§ÙŠØ¨Ù‡Ø§ Ù…Ù†ÙŠÙ†
A suggestion for the Sisi 007 Omega ad (clearly I have no real work to do today)
12. Time will tell whether the presidency vision will come true. But a series of memes under Arabic hashtags meaning #SisiDreams and #SisiLeaks harshly mocked the General. Here “Omega” is deconstructed to mean “Sisi is really stupid.”
#Ø§ÙˆÙ…ÙŠØ¬Ø§ ØªÙØ³ÙŠØ± ØÙ„Ù… Ø§Ù„Ø³ÙŠØ³Ù‰ .
13. Others wondered whether Sisi had the crazy dreams because he was not properly covered up while he sleeps, per Egyptian lore. Here Sisi recounts that Sadat told him he would be president. Sadat responds that he should cover up well before he sleeps.
Passant Abou Ali
#ØºØ·ÙŠÙ‡Ø§ #ØªØ³Ø±ÙŠØ¨Ø§Øª_Ø§Ù„Ø³ÙŠØ³ÙŠ #Ø§Ù„Ø³ÙŠØ³ÙŠ_Ù„ÙŠÙƒØ³ #Ø³ÙŠØ³ÙŠ_Ø£ÙˆÙ…ÙŠØ¬Ø§
14. Another meme advises: “Yes, cover him well like this and he won’t dream again. #Sisi’s_Dreams.”
Ø£ÙŠÙˆØ© ÙƒØ¯Ø§ ØºØ·ÙˆÙ‡ ÙƒÙˆÙŠØ³ Ø¹Ø´Ø§Ù† Ù…ÙŠØÙ„Ù…Ø´ ØªØ§Ù†ÙŠ #Ø£ØÙ„Ø§Ù…_Ø§Ù„Ø³ÙŠØ³ÙŠ
15. Here is Freud telling Sisi: “An Omega watch in the dream means victory.”
ÙˆÙØ±ØØ© ÙƒØ¨ÙŠØ±Ø© ÙˆØ§ØØªÙ…Ø§Ù„ ØªØªÙƒØ³ÙŠ #Ø§ÙˆÙ…ÙŠØ¬Ø§
16. Here, Sisi’s Omega watch boasts a green Star of David adorned with Hebrew letters…
:D ÙˆØ³Ø§Ø¹Ø© Ø¹Ù„ÙŠÙ‡Ø§ Ù†Ø¬Ù…Ø© Ø®Ø¶Ø±Ø§ ÙƒÙŠØ¨Ø±Ø© ÙŠØ§ Ø³ÙŠØ³ÙŠ #Ø§ÙˆÙ…ÙŠØ¬Ø§
17. Here is Sisi photoshopped as the Pope with the sword from his dream. Earlier this week Sisi supporters were appalled when the General didn’t make TIME Magazine’s official person of the year list after winning the online reader’s choice poll.
Ø§ÙˆÙ…ÙŠØ¬Ø§ ÙØ±Ø§Ù†Ø³ÙŠØ³ #Ù…Ù†Ø§Ù…Ø§Øª_Ø§Ù„Ø³ÙŠØ³ÙŠ
18. “Time Magainze changed their mind… and put Sisi as man of the year.”
#Ù…Ù†Ø§Ù…Ø§Øª_Ø§Ù„Ø³ÙŠØ³ÙŠ Ù…Ø¬Ù„Ø© Ø§Ù„ØªØ§ÙŠÙ… ØªØºÙŠØ± Ø±Ø£ÙŠÙ‡Ø§ .. ÙˆØªÙ…Ø³ÙŠ Ø§Ù„Ø³ÙŠØ³ÙŠ Ø±Ø¬Ù„ Ø§Ù„Ø¹Ø§Ù…
- Donald Trump has named H.R. McMaster as his new national security adviser, replacing Michael Flynn who resigned last week.
- Famine in South Sudan has left 100,000 people facing starvation and nearly 8 million in need of immediate assistance, UN agencies say.
- Milo Yiannopoulos's book has been canceled after he was accused of defending pedophilia.