If you ended a relationship this year — no matter how long or short it was — here are a few things that you should keep in mind as you head into the brand new year:
1. You are allowed to be as upset as you need to be.
2. There is no right or wrong amount of time in which you ~should~ be moved on by.
3. Just because you're in pain without them doesn't mean the relationship was right for you.
4. And when you feel the urge to get back together (because, you probably will), remember why you broke up.
5. And no, you don't need to stay friends.
6. So spend time with people who make you laugh and feel good about yourself.
7. And channel those emotions in positive ways.
8. Remember, it's not a competition. Stay focused on how YOU'RE doing and the progress that you're making.
9. Getting rid of all the crap they left at your place is always a good idea.
Hanging on to their stuff is comforting, because it's a reminder that the relationship actually happened. But, like trying to stay in contact with them, it only prevents you from moving on.