With all the contradicting information out there, creating and sticking to healthy eating habits can be extremely hard.
To make it easier, BuzzFeed Life spoke with Jessica Jones, M.S., R.D., co-host of Food Heaven Made Easy, and Danielle Omar, M.S., R.D., creator of Food Confidence, and came up with 29 simple ways you can improve your eating habits and be healthier in your everyday life.
1. Add frozen veggies to everything!
2. Order first when eating out with friends and family.
3. Go grocery shopping on Friday afternoons.
4. Try to make your plate one-quarter complex carbs, one-quarter protein, and one-half veggies, if you can.
5. And eat the vegetables on your plate first.
6. Make smart food swaps to cut calories without even noticing.
7. Eat snacks like chips and popcorn from a plate or bowl.
8. Grill or bake one extra serving of protein at dinner to throw on a salad for lunch the next day.
9. Use a mister for your olive oil.
10. Sweeten your coffee with unsweetened almond milk and stevia.
11. Avoid getting distracted while you're eating.
12. Eat breakfasts high in protein, fat, and veggies, and low in carbs.
13. Choose club soda as your base when making mixed (alcoholic) drinks.
14. Steam instead of fry.
15. When you have a choice, choose whole foods over processed every time.
Try to stick with eating whole foods (grains, beans, fruits) or foods you've made yourself. Though sometimes they may have more calories, you will definitely be getting more nutritional value than what you'd be getting from processed alternatives, such as loads of extra salt and preservatives.
Here are 14 other things you should really know about processed foods.