1. The St. Jude storm caused hurricane force winds this morning, battering southern parts of the UK.
A 17-year-old girl and a man in his 50s have been killed by falling trees. A search has also been called off by the RNLI for a missing 14-year-old boy who was swept out to sea in Newhaven yesterday evening.
3. The roof of a pedestrian bridge also fell down at London Bridge.
4. And a giant beach ball was seen at Old Street.
Old Street Roundabout at 6.45 this morning…beach ball on the loose
5. Trees are down all over the place. In Brighton…
6. In Hounslow…
London Fire Brigade
A tree collapsed causing a gas main to rupture & led to a possible gas explosion in Hounslow. Crews on scene #ukstorm
We attended the explosion on Bath Road, Hounslow, this morning and three people were treated for burns and taken to hospital #UKStorm2013
7. In Beckenham…
Tree down on Park Road, Beckenham (between Lawn Road & Copers Cope Road) #UKStorm
8. And in Salisbury.
This car was one of the first casualties of the storm on Castle Road in #Salisbury
9. One tree even fell on to a bus in North London.
Bus under tree at Turnpike Lane Station. Major delays. Avoid if possible. #woodgreen #ukstorm
10. There was some difficulty for those commuting in Islington this morning.
11. Cyclists too.
12. Predictably, some of these trees fell on train lines.
#UKstorm A tree blocks the railway line near Beltring in Kent. Crews working to clear as quickly as possible (pic)
#UKstorm Abbey Line (pic) Fallen trees in various locations along the line -
14. Even cranes were badly affected by the storm.
Old Kent Road closed due to unsafe crane - looks like it’s snapped! All buses and traffic diverted. @se1
Nick Clegg’s cancelled monthly press conference due to hold this am because a crane collapsed on the roof of the Cabinet Office #ukstorm
16. Here’s a close up of that crane.
17. There is also widespread flooding. Plymouth was one of the first places to be hit by the storm.
SC INSP Stuart Mills
Heavy flooding in Plymouth tonight. Only drive if necessary & stay safe. On duty tonight to provide flooding relief
20. Thousands of train cancellations caused chaos at platforms and at stations.
In the absence of @Se_Railway trains all SE London is at North Greenwich. If you haven’t left home I wouldn’t bother!
22. But it wasn’t all carnage and devastation…
Really @SkyNews pictures of “Severe Storm” include a missing fence panel.. Nearly as bad as 1” of snow shutting roads