1. For two years, YouTube channel Pronunciation Book made videos like this.
Short, simple pronunciation guides. It garnered tens of thousands of followers and was a genuinely useful tool for people interested in learning English.
2. But on April 14th 2012, Pronunciation Book uploaded “How to Ask for Help in English.”
The same voice from the channel’s previous pronunciation videos asks someone named “Chief” for help.
3. The next several videos are titled things like “How to Bargain in English” and feature similarly dark messages and exchanges from the same voice.
The contents of these videos are transcribed here.
4. The channel then returned to its normal pronunciation videos until July 9th, 2013, when the countdown began.
The same Pronunciation Book voice says “Something is going to happen in 77 days,” and is followed by silence with some low static noises in the background.
6. In the subsequent countdown videos, the PB narrator typically says something cryptic before announcing “Something is going to happen in XX days.”
“Omelettes aren’t the only western food.” What does it mean?
9. Okay, so what’s going on? There are three major theories. The first is that PB is counting down to a new Battlestar Galactica series.
Most of the theory relates back to the Bob Dylan song “All Along the Watchtower.” Seriously.
14. Some Pronunciation Book theorists suspect the countdown will lead to the launch of a sequel to “This is My Milwaukee.”
“How to Ask for Help in English” launched on 4/14. 414 is Milwaukee’s area code. Is it a clue to the bigger picture, or just an easter egg?
15. But we’ll have to wait to for the countdown to end on September 24th to know for sure what’s going to happen.
- A woman clapped back at her anti-gay neighbor using festive rainbow Christmas lights 🎄👏