Note: Prices vary for each lipstick type, depending on the color and/or quantity sold (i.e. single, two-packs, etc). The price listed is for the lipstick shade pictured.
1. Rimmel London Lasting Finish by Kate Moss ("001" pictured) is a super creamy lip color that will have you feeling as sexy and confident as a high-fashion model.
2. Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick ("Patina" pictured) is a creamy-matte, full-coverage lip color that definitely lives up to its name.
Promising review: "I put the lipstick on at 5 a.m. this morning before coming to work and I have yet to reapply seven hours later. I ate breakfast AND lunch with a coffee and two waters, and it has barely faded. I have never had a lipstick last as long and beautifully as Stila Stay All Day!" —Sara Brasher
Rating: 3.9/5 // Price: $24
3. NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream ("Monte Carlo" pictured) is somewhat of a lipstick-lip gloss hybrid and dries to a soft matte finish with minimal transfer.
Promising review: "I ordered 'Monte Carlo' and it is the most beautiful red you could imagine, and the smell is amazing. It takes a while to fully dry, so I recommend waiting a good 30-40 min before eating or drinking. There is very little transfer if you allow for enough drying time. I will definitely invest in more colors since the quality is great for the price." —Juliette Woodin
Rating: 4/5 // Price: $5.69
4. TheBalm Meet Matte Hughes ("Committed" pictured) is a matte lipstick with incredible staying power but isn't painfully dry and uncomfortable to wear.
Promising review: "Absolutely the best formulation for matte lipstick I've tried. I love the wand, the color, the packaging, the smell, the staying power, and the way it feels on my lips. I haven't shut up about it for three weeks. I'm a nurse and I work 12+ hours. I only touch up ONCE during my shift (after I eat lunch). Drinking coffee and water doesn't affect the wear." —Anne M. Thomas
Rating: 4.5/5 // Price: $17
5. Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick Creme ("Black Cherry" pictured) is a classic stand-by that works gorgeously for lipstick newbies and pros alike.
6. Lipstick Queen Lipstick ("Frog Prince" pictured) has a gentle, glossy formula that adapts to your skin tone/pH levels for a personally flattering pink tint.
Promising review: "I really like the color changing effect of this lipstick. It is a different color on each person who tries it (mine was a berry pink while my friend was a melon pink). It is more like a cross between a gloss and lip balm than a true lipstick, so it does not last like some lipsticks and I have had to reapply it often." —Emily
Rating: 3.9/5 // Price: $22.53
7. L.A. Girl Matte Flat Velvet Lipstick ("Poetic" pictured) adds a moisturizing dose of pigment so you can apply and jet off to your next Hollywood audition.
Promising review: "So mad I didn't discover these sooner. These are actually some of my favorite lipsticks! L.A. Girl products never cease to amaze me! It has long-lasting wear, but it's easy to wipe off and does not stain the lips. The flat top makes it so easy to apply, and they were not kidding about the soft velvet finish. I will be purchasing more colors!" —BluMethal
Rating: 4/5 // Price: $4.33
8. E.l.f. Moisturizing Lipstick in "Ravishing Rose" is a great, moisturizing option for everyday wear when you just want a light flush of color.
Promising review: "This lipstick has a really sweet, almost chocolate-y smell to it, which is great. I have very dry lips, especially in the winter, and this certainly does a good job of moisturizing and preventing chaps and cracks. Excellent staying and blending power too." —Kseniya
Rating: 4.3/5 // Price: $2.89
E.l.f's Matte Lip Color in "Tea Rose" is a good alternative if you prefer the lip pencil format.
9. Butter London Lippy Liquid Lipstick ("Come To Bed Red" pictured) is basically a sticky, sweet dessert party on your lips.
Promising review: "I love the formula of these liquid lipsticks in general—moisturizing, long-wearing, and they smell like cake. The formula is thick and sticky for all colors I've tried. Personally, I consider this a plus b/c it makes it easier to know when to reapply and keeps my very chapped lips from drying out. Oh, and my OCD side loves that there are matching polishes for most of these! "Come To Bed Red" lipstick + polish is the best if you want to feel all gussied up." —rm
Rating: 3.9/5 // Price: $18
10. Colourpop Ultra Matte Liquid Lipstick ("Tulle" pictured) is a fast-drying, lightweight matte perfect for kissing and *not* telling.
Promising review: "Very nice, especially for the price. "Tulle" was much darker than expected, but I still love it. It reminds me of one of my favorite mattes, Stila's Stay All Day in "Ricco," but Colourpop is about half the price. After a meal you definitely need to reapply, but overall I am very pleased and will be ordering other colors." —Brittany Lauren
Rating: 4/5 // Price: $7.05
11. Manic Panic Lethal Lipstick ("Nosferatu" pictured) is for you if you're looking for bold, unapologetic color that will make you the talk of the party.
Promising review: "I haven't worn black lipstick for many years and the last one I've worn was a cheap lipstick I bought at a costume shop and it sucked. It smeared really easily, needed plenty of reapplication, and wasn't very black. However, "Nosferatu" is definitely black; I only needed to apply it once and voila — beautiful, luscious black lips. It glides on smoothly and is so comfortable to wear — I forgot I even had it on. It will definitely stain and smear a bit, but the black still stays on. It's worth the price paid." —666wolfgirl
Rating: 4.2/5 // Price: $15.50
12. Burt's Bees Lipstick ("Juniper Water" pictured) is formulated with 100% natural ingredients for a light, buildable flush of color that feels like you're wearing vibrant lip balm.
Promising review: "I have been looking for an all-natural lipstick for a while and have always found them unable to deliver on color, coverage, and wear. Thus far, Burt's Bees has been my best purchase. The color is slightly lighter but it is creamy and the coverage is good. My lips have not experienced any irritation and are protected from chapping. The biggest draw back to this product is that it does need to be re-applied a couple of times throughout the day; however that is an acceptable trade-off for its natural ingredients." —Agape Lens
Rating: 3.9/5 // Price: $7.56
It also comes in a highly-rated lip crayon formula.
13. Jouer Long-Wear Crème Matte Liquid Lipstick ("Citronade Rose" pictured) comes in stunning metallic shades that will cause some serious stir (with only a swipe on your part).
14. Golden Rose Velvet Matte Lipstick ("Bossanova Purple" pictured) has the whole no-budge and no-fade color situation totally under control.
Promising review: "I have never worn a lipstick that has been so efficient at staying on my lips ALL night. I applied before I left the house and brought it with in case I needed to reapply (I was at a costume party). I kept checking in the mirror and was astonished that it hadn't budged or faded. I'm not a lipstick guru by any means so maybe I'm gushing for no reason, but this stuff makes me want to start wearing lipstick regularly." —Alexandra F.
Rating: 3.9/5 // Price: $7.99
15. Lorac Alter Ego Lipstick ("Dominatrix" pictured) is a line of dependable mattes with fun, imaginative shades that let you ~switch up your identity~, if only for a night.
Promising review: "They are not very moisturizing, but I did not find them drying either. Certainly no more so than comparable matte products, and definitely not more drying than some liquid lipsticks. I do feel like the finish comes out pretty matte. So long as I don't eat a greasy meal, they both last nicely and are not sticky. They're not terribly transfer proof, but what I eventually came to love most about these lipsticks is how easy they are to blend and wear with other colors." —Katie H.
Rating: 4.1/5 // Price: $17
16. Maybelline Sensational Lipcolor ("On The Mauve" pictured) is hard not to love with its extremely affordable price point, extensive color selection, and moisturizing, shimmery finish.
Promising review: "Been ordering this product ("On The Mauve") for over a year. Doesn't go on as thick and creamy as I'd like but the color is great - perfect neutral for many different looks." —Amazon Customer
Rating: 4.4/5 // Price: $4.47
17. MAC Lipstick in "Sin" is the perfect, stay-all-day moody matte for fall.
Promising review: "I love this color; it's absolutely beautiful and does not dry out my lips like some other MAC colors I've tried and I am a huge MAC addict. It glides on smoothly and has that matte finish so I do top it with either my Vaseline Chapstick or a touch of gloss to shine it up a bit. You can wear a light layer so the color isn't so dramatic or you can use a second layer to darken it up. It does stay on and lasted me throughout a whole football game, including the nachos I ordered." —Geraldine
MAC's Russian Red is another highly-rated classic.
18. City Color Be Matte Lipstick is a set of six semi-matte reds that keeps your lipstick game fresh and experimental, and pries you away from *that one red* you always resort to.
19. Bare Minerals Marvelous Moxie Lipstick ("Call the Shots" pictured) is super color-saturated, glides on like butter, and leaves your lips feeling nourished and baby-soft.
Promising review: "Goes on very smooth, very bright in color! The lip liner amped goes great under it. It is a VERY vibrant red. I had to be a little careful with how much I put on, because you do not need to apply a lot! I've had this for almost a year and I'm nowhere near close to running out. I've been using Bare Minerals for almost five years and they've never let me down!" —Brandy
Rating: 4.1/5 // Price: $18.99
20. L'oreal Colour Riche Lipcolour ("True Red" pictured) has a wide shade range that covers bolds, neutrals, and everything in between, and will also keep your lips hydrated all day.
Promising review: "I bought several different colors in this L'Oréal Colour Riche line and in general they are all very good lipstick. The colors are so pretty and pigmented. There's no unpleasant smell, and it applies smoothly and easily. Doesn't dry my lips out, it actually helps moisturize them. I noticed some slight feathering on some but I started using a lip primer/lip liner and that helped. I will continue to buy more colors and gift some out." —Peggiann777
Rating: 4.3/5 // Price: $2.75
21. Beauty Treats Color Change Mood Lipsticks are a cheaper alternative to other color-changing lipsticks on the market and provide a pretty flush of pinky tones.
22. Wet 'n Wild Megalast Lip Color in "Bare it All" is a perfect beige dupe for MAC's "Velvet Teddy" at a fraction of the price.
Promising review: "Such a great dupe for "Velvet Teddy" by MAC. This color is so beautiful and goes on smoothly. It isn't matte, but it isn't shiny. I add a clear lip gloss on top to give my lips the plumpest look. I do find that it wears off extremely fast (hour or so into wearing it), so be sure to bring it along wherever you go." —Charli Aleyev
Rating: 4.2/5 // Price: $3.79
23. Kiki The Must Haves Lipstick Set apply as subtle, varying degrees of pink that can be built up with additional layers.
Promising review: "Good products. Quite moisturizing and long-lasting. They came in very pretty wrapping (organza sachet). All three are pretty pink, warm tones. The first two are too light for my dark skin so I use them for blusher. Nice for the price. The color on my lips (pictured above) is a mixture of the lightest and darkest one." —Amazon Customer
Rating: 4.1/5 // Price: $11.99
The Nudes set is also highly-rated. Also, Kiki's stock may vary depending on the season, which is why some people got a five-piece set instead of the advertised three-piece set.
Rock that pout.
The reviews used in this post have been edited for length and clarity.