We asked the BuzzFeed Community to tell us about motivational books that have *actually*, you know, motivated and uplifted them. Here are their diverse picks:
1. Yes Please is like your own laugh-out-loud therapy session with Amy Poehler, rooted in extremely honest advice and self-deprecating wit.
2. Furiously Happy encourages readers to embrace the craziness and ridiculousness of life when managing anxiety and mental illness.
3. The Happiness Project is one woman's year-long mission to focus her time on what actually matters, and it'll teach you to do the same.
4. Laughing at my Nightmare takes on life's awkward situations from the viewpoint of a twenty-something living with spinal muscular atrophy.
5. Just Kids is a poetic tribute to Patti Smith's late partner and a passion-fueled relationship between two vying artists in '60s and '70s NYC.
6. The Last Lecture addresses the question of what kind of legacy you want to leave behind, even if your life hasn't been cut short by terminal cancer.
7. Bossypants chronicles Tina Fey's pre-breakout days to remind people that all Liz Lemons start off with just a dream to become a comedian...and to be called "bossy."
8. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up is the wake-up call you and your overstuffed closet desperately need.
9. Or its follow-up "practical parody," The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving a F*ck, that serves up real talk about saying no to time-wasters.
10. Quiet challenges society's long-standing penchant for extroverts with an in-depth look at the oftentimes untapped strengths of introverts.
11. Adulting is a charming and relatable AF handbook for aspiring grown-ups who could use *very practical* help for navigating the so-called "real world."
12. An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth taps into a mixture of memoir and motivational material sprinkled with dry humor, and of course, a truly out-of-this-world perspective on life.
13. Gift from the Sea explores groundbreaking meditations (published back in 1955!) on the trappings of modernity during a brief escape from everyday life...of course by the sea.
14. Seriously…I’m Kidding is basically a ray of sunshine in book form with a generous heaping of laughter and optimism — like chatting with your best friend.
15. You Are a Badass gives you the kind of advice that your cool aunt would, which means giving it to ya straight sans cushy bullshit.
16. Things No One Will Tell Fat Girls consists of personal and guest essays that shed light and encouragement on the almighty cause of loving your own body.
17. The Alchemist is the breathtaking story of Santiago, a wanderlust-driven Andalusian shepherd boy who seeks to fulfill his dreams.
18. Courage: The Joy of Living Dangerously focuses on exuding courage on a daily basis and, dare we say, ~celebrating~ fear and the unknown.
19. Lean In reviews the problematic theme of women "having it all" through self-deprecating humor, hard-hitting research, and personal anecdotes.
20. Absolutely Should-Less puts you back in control of your decisions by tossing the word "should" from your vocab straight into the trash.
21. Diva Rules serves up life lessons like "Give Good Face" and "Be Thankful You're a Misfit" straight from radio personality, businesswoman, and RuPaul's Drag Race judge Michelle Visage.
22. The Four Agreements unleashes practical advice based on ancient Toltec wisdom that helps you dispel beliefs that prevent you from reaching your potential.
23. No Mud, No Lotus talks about getting in touch with your suffering — rather than running away from it — through practices like mindful breathing and deep concentration.
24. F*ck Feelings: One Shrink’s Practical Advice for Managing All Life’s Impossible Problems is the sage (but very blunt) advice from a doctor and writer father-daughter duo.
25. Staying Strong affirms commitment to your health, happiness, and overall well-being every day of the year.
26. Reasons to Stay Alive will resonate with anyone who has to dance around with depression every day.
27. What to Do When it's Your Turn (and it's Always Your Turn) reads like a full-color magazine and pushes you to do all the work you've been avoiding (yep, you know).
28. How to Win Friends & Influence People is full of time-tested advice that helps you navigate the tricky waters of interpersonal relationships and putting your best (but genuine) face forward.
29. Dumplin' stars fearless, self-proclaimed fat girl Willowdean Dickson, who enters a teen beauty pageant to take back her confidence.
30. When Panic Attacks teaches you how to identify and separate your anxieties and mental distortions from the ~actual truth~.
31. It Gets Worse is one hilariously insightful essay after another about millennial culture and relatable-yet-bizarre personal experiences.
You trying to soak in all this KNOWLEDGE and INSPIRATION:
Want to be featured in similar BuzzFeed posts? Follow the BuzzFeed Community on Facebook and Twitter.
The comments used in this post have been edited for length and clarity.