1. Raspberries are a member of the rose family.
So are apples, cherries, pears, peaches, quinces, plums, apricots, blackberries, and strawberries…but roses can be red and raspberries can be red (though they can also be black purple or golden…) so ignoring the others is justified, right?
3. The word pineapple was inspired by pinecones.
When European explorers came across these fruits in the Americas, they called them pineapples because of their resemblance to pinecones. On a side note, pineapples can take many years to mature. No wonder they’re a bit pricey.
5. The paisley pattern is based on the shape of a mango.
The design may be traced back to Persia as far back as the third century. It is also culturally significant to the Tamil culture, where the design is known as “Mankolam” due to its mango-inspired shape.
8. Canada holds the (unofficial) record for baking the largest cherry pie in the world.
The record was held in Traverse City, Michigan for a 28,350 pound pie (pictured above) until 1992 when Oliver, British Columbia took the record — although, since they didn’t save the pan, the record is still technically held by Traverse City.
9. Cashew apples are the “accessory fruits” to the cashew nut.
Those yellow pear-shaped things are the fruit of the cashew apple tree, and they’re called accessory fruits because they grow from the tissue rather than the ovary of the flower.
The cashew shaped green blobs hanging off the bottom are actually the cashews themselves (which are technically seeds, not nuts), which are encased in toxic layers that are made edible through roasting.
13. A berry called miracle fruit (or miracle berries) creates a chemical that causes sour food to taste sweet.
This West African fruit creates a chemical called miraculin which binds to the taste buds and causes sour foods to taste sweet. It may sound like a hoax, but you can watch BuzzFeed staff members taste testing sour foods under the influence of the miracle fruit here.
- These parents came up with maybe the best dirty Halloween couple's costume ever. Parents ftw 😂👏