Prepare to be hypnotized by a second-by-second visualization of America’s retail expenditures.
Retale, a location-based app and website that aggregates weekly retail circulars, created a real-time visualization of how Americans spend, from coffees sold at Starbucks to credit card transactions to sales of firearms. The count starts from the moment the webpage is opened — after a few minutes, you’ll see sales of toys outpace firearms, though fall far behind lottery cards — among other interesting patterns.
3. Snapshot after 299 seconds:
- A 25-year-old has been identified as the suspected drunk driver who drove a truck into a crowd at Mardi Gras and injured over a dozen.
- Actor Bill Paxton has died at 61. He starred in classic films including "Twister," "Titanic," "Big Love," and "Aliens."
- The Nokia brick phone is making a comeback — reimagined with a colored screen, but the game Snake hasn't gone anywhere 🐍📲
- Tonight at 8:30pm ET, BuzzFeed is celebrating the biggest night in Hollywood, the Oscars, with a live show and tipsy game of bingo 🏆🍹