1. Survivor No. 3 — BuzzFeed
One year ago, Kali Hardig went swimming at an Arkansas water park and the next day was rushed to the hospital where doctors diagnosed her with a rare, 99% fatal condition: a brain-eating amoeba. This is the miraculous story of how she lived. Read it at BuzzFeed.
2. The New Face of Hunger — National Geographic
Three photographers went to three different corners of the country in order to put faces to a troubling statistic, that even in our rich, often overweight nation, one sixth of people struggle to get enough to eat. Read it at National Geographic.
3. Stalker in the Attic — Mashable
Patrick Michels brings the eerie tale of two Texas teenagers who were apparently the victims of cyber — and then real-world — stalking. After the abuse suddenly stopped, “The community, wrapped in forces they still don’t understand, is left to wonder how 12-year-olds, or their phones, could be capable of such a complex scheme.” Read it at Mashable.
In 2011, he resigned in disgrace after alleged sexual relations with an 18-year-old girl. Kate Nocera asks: Why is former Rep. David Wu still wandering the halls of Congress? Read it at BuzzFeed.
5. The Weird, Scary and Ingenious Mind of Maria Bamford — New York Times Magazine
Sara Corbett profiles the comedian: “When she does her stand-up, when she acts on television and most notably in several web series she has written and starred in, she plays an exaggerated version of herself — a tremolo-voiced woman with a stunned expression, trying to navigate a world of people whose confidence is appreciably higher than her own.” Read it at the New York Times Magazine.
7. My Travels with Larry — The Globe and Mail
How does a lobster worth $3.50 on a wharf end up selling for more than $60 by the time it hits a plate in New York? Ian Brown follows one lobster’s journey to find out. Read it at The Globe and Mail.
A hilarious journey into the fried-and-breaded hell that is the new TGI Friday’s all-you-can-eat appetizer special by Caity Weaver. “Earlier I said these mozzarella sticks taste like garbage. I would like to amend that statement. They taste worse than garbage.” Read it at Gawker.
- French authorities have begun moving thousands of migrants and refugees from the makeshift "Jungle" camp in Calais.
- Trump supporters haranguing the press at rallies has become routine. Now, the alt-right has adopted an old Nazi term to describe reporters.
- Jay Z is holding a concert for Clinton in Ohio aimed at mobilizing a group she's struggled to excite: black voters. 🎤
- Girl Scout cookies for breakfast: General Mills says a cereal will be released in January 😋