In Washington state, a 10- and 11-year-old were sentenced to years in a detention facility after being caught with weapons and claiming they were going to murder other kids at their school. Where is the line between a childish game and a real threat? Read it at BuzzFeed.
2. Richard LaFuente Is Finally Free! — Texas Monthly
Michael Hall first met Richard LaFuente in 2006, when he was twenty years into a sentence for a murder he did not commit. After nearly three decades of refusing to feign remorse before parole boards, he has finally left prison. Here’s why it took so long. Read it at Texas Monthly.
3. While the World Watched — ESPN
Wright Thompson reports from Argentina, which hosted the 1978 World Cup, even as the regime imprisoned, tortured, and murdered tens of thousands of its own citizens. As another Cup begins, memories return. Read it at ESPN.
4. On the Edge of Civil War in Ukraine — BuzzFeed
In the eastern city of Donetsk, friends and neighbors have transformed into enemies, and people on both sides of the conflict worry that there’s no way out from a slide to civil war. Mike Giglio reports. Read it at BuzzFeed.
“Like the fictional team, The Mighty Ducks film franchise was always an underdog, one that forced its way to three movies and a fiercely devoted following through dedication, passion and, as often as not, good fortune. Few would declare it the greatest trilogy in movie history. Many more would call it their favorite.” Read it at Time.
8. Sitting is Bad for You. So I Stopped. For a Whole Month. — New York
A witty essay by Dan Kois about a month he spent on foot: “If you sit down more than 11 hours a day, one study suggests, you’re 40 percent more likely to die in the next three years than I am.” Read it at New York.
Next week marks the publication of The Last Magazine, the late BuzzFeed reporter’s first novel — as well as the first anniversary of his death. We’re celebrating his work and his life with these chapters, chronicling a book party that totally in no way took place in the offices of Newsweek. Read it at BuzzFeed.
- Donald Trump said that his comments about Sweden were referring to a Fox News segment, not an actual incident in the country 🇸🇪🙃
- The CEO of Uber is investigating sexism and sexual harassment claims after a former employee said her reports were ignored.
- Geologists say they've discovered an 8th continent beneath New Zealand. "Zealandia" is 94% submerged underwater 🔎🌍
- The US ambassador to Somalia gave the country's new president a "Make Somalia Great Again" hat and the exchange was ~confusing~.