1. Is Yelp a Bully Or Just Misunderstood? — BuzzFeed
The online reviewing behemoth is regularly accused of mafia-style extortion by disgruntled business owners and the media. But even as Ivy League researchers debunk the conspiracy theories, the company’s shadowy reputation remains intact. Why is it so hard to believe that Yelp might actually be fair?
Chris Geidner profiles Evan Wolfson and Andrew Sullivan, who have been arguing since the 1980s that marriage equality is the key step to advancing gay rights in society. The Supreme Court’s decisions this week evidence how their work has paid off.
6. How Do You Say Shaolin in Sign Language? — Slate
A video of ASL interpreter Holly Maniatty keeping up with the Wu-Tang Clan at Bonnaroo viral this week. “Maniatty has been at this for 13 years, using her skills as an interpreter—and careful research of her subjects — to bring music to the deaf.”
7. Chasing Cave Dog — SB Nation
This riveting play-by-play follows John Prater as he attempts to climb 55 of Colorado’s 14,000 ft peaks in just ten days, breaking the current 10 day, 20 hour, 46 minute record. “It is an iconic record in a sport that does not offer many, the near equivalent of the four-minute mile, a pace so tough, so trying, that in the last dozen years no one had attempted it.”
8. Huey Lewis’ Old Weird America — Grantland
A fawning, funny profile of the iconic 80’s star: “Here’s one thing the record business is definitely no longer good at: selling rock albums made by thirtysomething white men who are into sax solos and doo-wop. Huey Lewis represents an archetype that is not only absent from the pop charts, it’s one that is nearly impossible for a young person to imagine ever being popular.”
Just sign up for our longform email, and you’ll get our best BuzzFeed content — plus other longform stories from around the web!
- President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump had their first dance to Frank Sinatra's "My Way" at an inaugural ball 🇺🇸
- On his first day in office President Trump signed an executive order to "minimize the economic burden" of the Affordable Care Act.
- Over 200 people were arrested as anti-Trump protesters and police clashed in Washington, DC, during the inauguration.
- Flights around the country are packed with pink as people stream into the nation's capital for the Women's March on Washington 👭 💖