1. Staying in touch with your real friends is hard!
2. You'll lose touch with some friends...
3. You'll definitely make some new friends too!
That's right, you CAN and WILL make new friends after college years. Contrary to popular belief, your social life does not die after you are handed your diploma. You'll make new friends at work, in new activities, in the city you move to, and you may even get back in touch with old friends! It's exciting and also a reminder that life goes on. The training wheels are off now, so these friends very often can be some of the most important and supportive people in your transition to the real world, so choose carefully.
4. You won't go out as much as you used to.
5. Moving back home is a challenge, but it's also worth it.
6. And when you move away from home it is an exciting, scary adventure.
7. You'll accomplish a lot of "firsts."
8. In some ways, you're REALLY an adult for the first time...
9. In other ways, you're still just a kid.
10. Finding a job is HARD.
Ignore the fact that "the economy" is really bad and all that talk cable show pundits/your parents like to toss around about the job market. You have a college education, maybe an internship or two, and a pulse. Basically, you're tailor-made for full-time employment. But don't EVER think you're special, because you're not. Nope. There are thousands of other well-qualified candidates applying for the same positions. Job boards on websites are basically black holes that suck your resume into oblivion. Interviews are terrifying. You'll pound the pavement for weeks, and maybe even months. You will network, network, network, network if you are smart, and will probably interview for more than a few jobs that you won't get. Your morale will be tested. Suck it up. You'll find a job, and it'll be the best feeling in the world.
11. That's why it is OK — actually, preferable — to take some time off and decompress.
12. You should pick up an activity to keep you sane.
Join a club or rec sports league, start running, cultivate a new hobby, simply READ more. Whatever you do, you're going to be like Hercules facing the Hydra. Post-grad life is sort of like fighting a multi-headed monster — you'll miss the structure that college provides, you'll need to make new friends, and finding (or just HAVING) a new job is very stressful. Your secret weapon: Have some fun! Start doing something you have always wanted to try, or love doing but didn't have the time, or had to quit and want to pick up again. It's fun, healthy, and you DESERVE it.