We recently asked members of the BuzzFeed Community to tell us why they waited to have sex, or why they're still waiting now. Here's what they said:
1. "I want to invest in myself before sharing it with someone else."
2. "I don't want to have sex with someone who I may never see again in my lifetime."
3. "I can barely manage five minutes of small talk."
4. "I believe sex is a gift from God for married couples."
5. "I waited until I was fucking ready."
6. "My future husband will be the only one to experience the vulnerability and intimacy of sex with me."
7. "There weren't any guys around that I could stand long enough to get naked."
8. "We wanted to establish trust."
9. "I was waiting because of my faith; now I'm waiting for an emotional connection."
"As a teen and during college, my faith and my upbringing were the main reasons. Sex was for marriage, period. I'm still waiting, but not because of it being 'evil' or dirty. For me, "I *need* an emotional connection to someone, a deep trust, before sex would be more of a potential joy/pleasure/expression of love than it would a big, anxiety-producing event."
—Jonathan Hamrick, Facebook
10. "I was too timid to explore deeper relationships."
11. "I waited until I liked myself enough to be with someone who respected me."
12. "Just waiting for a guy who is decent, kind, and respects me."
13. "I'm waiting because I don't want to waste something important to me on someone who I might not be important to."
14. "I waited until I felt completely sure that I wanted it. "
15. "I waited until I found the person I was most comfortable with, who just happened to be my husband."
16. "I’m leaning more towards me being asexual."
17. "Have you heard of how many people have STIs?"
18. "Two of my older siblings became parents when they were still teens: BEST BIRTH CONTROL EVER!!!"
19. "I like knowing that my husband will be the only one who will ever become that close to me."
20. "I just have no interest in fucking a stranger and that’s all that’s been available."
21. "My father told me that high school boys don't know what they're doing."
"In middle school my father's version of 'the talk' was, When you have sex, you want it to be good. And high school boys just don't know what they're doing so please, just wait until after high school.' I lost it to my boyfriend in the summer going into my sophomore year of college."
22. "I was a gay mormon and waited for religious reasons/lack of sexual interest in the girls I was dating."
23. "My best friend and I made a bet when we were 15 to hold out for as long as possible."
24. "I waited because as a victim of a sexual predator, intimacy means so much more to me."
25. "I'm still waiting because of a winning combination of wanting to meet the right person and scare tactics used during sex ed."
Responses have been edited for length and clarity.