1. Reduce the likelihood you'll bail on your morning workout by sleeping in your workout clothes.
3. Turn any backpack into the perfect gym bag with attachable sneaker pouches.
Solepacks clip onto your backpack so you can carry an extra pair of shoes with you. Get them here.
4. Or just put your sneakers in shower caps and stick 'em in your bag.
5. Learn how to do easy, super functional braids. Learn some quick and easy styling hacks to keep your hair out of your way while you work out.
6. Save time by warming up on your way to the gym.
7. Use yoga mats to muffle the sound of weights dropping.
Should you throw your barbell to the ground? No. Does a heavy bar sometimes leave your hands in a not-so-controlled manner during heavy lifts? Sure. Spare your gym's floor and muffle the noise with mats.
8. Strip weight plates from barbells quickly and efficiently (without dropping a weight on your foot).
9. Make your pre- or post-workout snack something delicious that you only have when you exercise.
10. Make a playlist that's timed to your workout with strategically placed power songs.
11. Work out with someone who's just a bit more fit and motivated than you.
12. Better yet just make it a date w/ your s.o.
13. Get moisture-wicking underwear.
Underwear designed to keep your undercarriage as dry and comfortable as possible even when you're working up a sweat could be the difference between an unpleasantly swampy workout that you want to end right away and a dryer, more pleasant one.
14. BYO quick-drying microfiber towel.
#GymTowelProblems as I see them:
- Your gym doesn't have towel service.
- Your gym has towel service but the towels are small and/or scratchy.
- Your gym has towel service but you've noticed gym staff transporting dirty towels and "clean" ones in the same container.
- Your gym has towel service but doesn't launder them with bleach.
These are all great reasons to bring your own towel, in particular a microfiber one that absorbs water like a champ and dries super quickly after use. They also tend to be less fluffy and are therefore easier to pack.
16. Instead of waiting for equipment you want to use, learn how to ask to "work in."
17. Better yet, learn common exercise swaps and never wait for a machine again.
18. Keep dryer sheets in your gym bag because stench.
19. Master DIY sweat stain removal.
20. Clean those grody shower shoes with baking soda and warm water.
Add baking soda to warm water, soak your flip flops, then scrub with a toothbrush. If they still smell, make a paste of baking soda and saltwater and give 'em another scrub.
21. Pre-packed, frozen fruit + Nutribullet = Instant pre-workout smoothie.
Freeze everything for your pre-workout smoothie in individual bags so you're always ready to just put it all into a Nutribullet, which will blend smoothies right into a to-go cup you can throw in a gym bag.
22. Use liquid chalk to help your tired hands when using free weights or holding a bar.
23. Do strength and cardio at the same time.
Save time by doing a workout that combines strength and cardio; check out more options here.