2. Life expectancy is low
With all those serial killers, psychopaths, arsonists, dodgy drivers and runaway trams on the loose, most soap characters spend every waking hour in mortal danger. Back in 2002, Reader’s Digest did a survey on the average life-expectancy of each community. The results were bleak. 40 for Emmerdale, 45 for ‘Enders and a pathetic 24 for Brookside (RIP). And things haven’t improved; 10 characters in Weatherfield were bumped off between 2010-2012.
3. Weddings are always a disaster
Weddings in soaps should come with a health warning. Chance of death is high, as is a long-lost relative/lover/spouse popping up to put a spanner in the works. Or the police will put in an appearance. Whatever happens, it’s generally never Happy Ever After.
5. ..then this happens
Then she transformed overnight. Caroline Gillmer, the actress playing Cheryl had actually been taken ill. She was seamlessly replaced at short notice by Colette Mann for eight weeks, viewers were apparently expected not to notice.
8. Almost everyone’s a criminal
Very few are squeaky clean. From selling dodgy ‘motors’ and knocked-off jewellery or committing some light fraud, to murder, rape, and baby-napping, most soap residents think nothing of a bit of illegal activity. Former Coronation Street producer Phil Collinson once admitted: “We have been at the police station and the court room a little bit too much.” But would we want it any other way? No. Viewers love a crim - as long as they get their comeuppance (see 10).
9. People come back from the dead
Eastenders’ Dirty Den, Hollyoaks’ Warren Fox and Emmerdale’s Kim Tate all did their best Jesus impression. But, the all-time great soap resurrection has to be that of Neighbours’ Harold Bishop. Hazza ducked out to sea in 1991, leaving his glasses perched ominously on the rock, leaving devoted wife Madge - and us naive viewers - to believe he’d drowned. Then ol’ Jelly Belly popped up five years later, tuba in hand, suffering from amnesia.
11. …usually in the pub
Where better place than to reveal all than the pub? That way, you can tell the whole community in one bitter, dramatic confession. Make mine a double for the denouement.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- Texas is suing the federal government for blocking a huge shipment of illegal execution drugs from entering the state 💉
- President Trump bussed the US Senate to the White House for a briefing on North Korea, but senators say they didn't learn anything new 🚌
- McDonald's spends big bucks rolling out "premium" menu items like leafy wraps, but data shows its customers just want cheap deals 🍔🍟
- An extraordinary new study claims humans roamed America 130,000 years ago, but fossil experts say don't believe the hype 👣