25 Rom-Com Tropes That Literally Never Happen To A Single Soul In Real Life
When will someone break out in song for me in the middle of Target like in the movies?
1. "When the girl is weird or nerdy just 'cause she wears glasses. Then, the guy falls in love with her after she takes them off and puts on a dress."
2. "Graceful, elegant, clean, perfect sex with no foreplay."
3. "The whole kissing in pouring down rain trope that you see as the music swells and the couple was just talking passionately to each other."
4. "Elaborate and climactic public declarations of love."
5. "All of the characters are usually journalists, architects, or owners of some quirky shop."
6. "Confusing 'never giving up' with actual harassment."
7. "When a famous person falls in love with a non-famous person."
8. "The whole 'meet-cute on the way to work' thing."
9. "When a girl has a guy best friend and she must be blind because he loves her but she prefers some other doofus."
10. "When a character, who is a pretty bad person, makes a big romantic gesture to say sorry to someone and then all of a sudden they're in love."
11. "When an average girl ends up meeting and falling in love with a prince of an unknown, foreign country and then they get married."
12. "When there's a huge misunderstanding that causes an immediate breakup with no questions or explanations."
13. "The entire school caring about the love lives of a few students."
14. "The girl being super unpopular/nerdy and the handsome, popular guy dating her."
15. "Falling in love with your best friend and there being no complications or awkward moments."
16. "Running through an airport."
17. "Showing up unannounced to someone's workplace for a huge romantic gesture."
18. "When the main characters have just met and plan to go on a date without actually setting a time, place, or asking where to pick each other up."
19. "When one main character is about to get married and they call off the wedding the day before or the day of."
20. "The backstabbing best friend who couldn't help herself from falling in love with your significant other."
21. "Whenever people hook up and we see them take their clothes off and there are no lines on their body."
22. "When they fake date in hopes of their ex seeing it so they can get back together."
23. "When the main character always has a mentor of some sort."
24. "Almost every rom-com has a character that owns a bakery but somehow they always have clean clothes."
25. And "Leaving your fiancé for a new or old crush."
Note: Some submissions have been edited for length and/or clarity.