16 Amazing Facts About India That'll Fuck With Your Mind Every Time
It happens only in India.
1. In 2004, farmers in Chattisgarh and other states started using Pepsi and Coke in their fields instead of pesticides, with effective results.
3. Thousands of flesh-eating turtles were released into the Ganga in 1990 in a move to get rid of the floating corpses from cremations conducted around the river.
4. The number of people who ride Mumbai locals daily is more than the population of New Zealand.
5. The amount of steel wire used in the Bandra-Worli Sealink is equivalent to the total circumference of the earth.
6. Asola-Fatehpur Beri in New Delhi is known as "Bouncer Village" as it is home to over 300 musclemen employed in clubs and bars around the capital.
9. The Jharia coal mines of Jharkhand are home to an underground fire that has been burning for a hundred years now.
10. Uttar Pradesh has an actual Association Of Dead People, an organisation whose members are folk who lost their land after being falsely declared deceased by their relatives.
11. There is a polling booth set up in the middle of the Gir forest for Mahant Bharatdas Darshandas, a temple priest and the lone voter from Banej in Gujarat.
12. In 2013, GoAir announced that it would only hire female flight attendants, in an effort to "save fuel", because they weighed 15-20 kg lesser than men on average.
13. This incredible map shows the populations of Indian states, and countries closest in terms of their population.
14. The Andhra Pradesh High Court has mandated that every doctor in India must write prescriptions in capital letters or legible handwriting.
15. The village of Kodhini in Kerala was home to 220 sets of twins in 2009.
16. And ISRO's Mars Orbiter Mission cost less than the movie Gravity.
At $100 million, the Oscar-winning film cost $26 million more than Mangalyaan's total budget.