Last night, the Republican Hindu Coalition in New Jersey held a charity event titled Humanity United Against Terror, with Donald Trump as the chief guest.
The benefit was held for victims of terrorism in Kashmir and elsewhere in the subcontinent.
1. However, it was everything other than the performances that anyone could talk about – like fliers portraying Sonia Gandhi and Hillary Clinton as evil beings out to frame Narendra Modi.
The fliers were handed out to all attendees, and accused Clinton of colluding with Gandhi to organise a “witch hunt” against Modi.
2. It also featured the bones of dead cattle.
3. Posters of Trump photoshopped on a lotus, the BJP’s official party symbol, adorned the arena.
4. Banners around the venue tried to woo the NRI crowd with promises that Trump would facilitate a faster green card process.
This, despite one of the Trump campaign’s main focuses being a push for tighter immigration laws.
5. It wasn’t all hunky-dory though, with anti-Trump groups protesting outside the venue even as the event began.
6. The highlight of the night was a performance involving Indian dancers being attacked by terrorists with lightsaber-y guns, and being saved by the US Army.
7. Once rescued, the Indian dancers stood for the US national anthem, followed by a performance to Bruce Springsteen’s “Born in the U.S.A.”.
9. Trump began by proclaiming that he was “a big fan of Hindu”.
His odd phrasing didn’t go unnoticed.
10. However, his biggest faux pas occurred when he mixed up two separate terror attacks, and implied that the Indian parliament was in Mumbai.
“For all of the people in Mumbai, the attack on the parliament was outrageous and terrible. We will defeat radical Islamic terrorism,” he misspoke.