Barbie Breakout, a well-known German drag queen and DJ, has had it with Russia’s anti-gay propaganda law. In a video entitled “Open Your Mouth,” Breakout stares into the camera for a moment and then begins to sew her mouth shut with a needle and cotton thread. It’s painful to watch but, of course, that’s the point.
“The pain I felt inside when I had to see in the media what is happening in Russia was greater than the physical pain of the needle. My partner held the camera while I did it. But he couldn’t look,” Breakout told Die Welt. “In my youth I had more holes in an ear than through my mouth in this performance. Apart from a small bruise on my left upper lip, everything has healed up again. It was about symbolism, not about self-harm.”
3. Again, you’ve been warned.
- "It was a wick": Artists, friends, and survivors describe what it was like inside the Oakland warehouse party fire that left at least 9 dead.
- After deciding to end her request for a statewide recount in Pennsylvania, Jill Stein announced she plans to take the issue to federal court Monday.
- Thousands holding flags gathered in Cuba Saturday night to remember the life of Fidel Castro. His burial is set to take place on Sunday.
- "Saturday Night Live" spoofed Donald Trump retweeting weird people, just like the real president-elect 📱😂