16. So let's start with America's murder rate: 4.7 murders per 100,000 people. That's the number to beat, Middle East!
15. Iran's Islamic Republic clocks in at 3.9.
14. Egypt's at 3.4.
13. The United Arab Emirates, which includes Dubai, runs 2.6 per year.
12. Turkey's tied with the UAE at 2.6.
11. Lebanon's at 2.2.
10. Morocco's tied with Lebanon at 2.2.
9. Jordan: 2.0.
8. Israel: 1.8.
7. Qatar's at 1.1.
6. Oman is tied with Qatar at 1.1.
5. Saudi Arabia (.8) is safer than New Zealand (.9).
4. Algeria is at .7.
3. The little kingdom of Bahrain is at .5.
2. And safest of all: Kuwait at .4.
1. Borders matter; war in one place means nothing on the other side of a fence.
It's time to start thinking of the Middle East as a diverse, beautiful, and, most importantly, safe place. How does your country rank? Check out the raw stuff from the UN itself.
Ryan Bohl is a blogger and writer who spent five years in the Persian Gulf from 2009 until 2014. Read more about his travels at Absurd Living.