Skip To Content
  • Viral badge

Demi Lovato's Mom Explained What Happened On The Day Demi Overdosed

With Demi's blessing, Dianna de la Garza gave an interview about what happened.

In July, singer Demi Lovato was hospitalized in Los Angeles for a suspected overdose.

Demi took to Instagram last month to tell fans she is currently taking time to heal and "focus on sobriety"

Now, in an interview on Newsmax TV, Demi's mother Dianna de la Garza, has broken her silence.

Dianna said thinking about the day of Demi's overdose makes her shake:

She said she first found out what happened from people who had texted her.

Dianna said she was in shock and not sure what people were referring to "on TMZ."

But before she could check TMZ, she said she received a phone call from Demi's assistant.

Before I could get to TMZ to see what they were reporting, I got a phone call from Demi's assistant at the time, Kelsey. My oldest daughter, Dallas, was standing next to me. I remember I hadn't even had a chance to say anything to her. I looked at her and said, 'Kelsey's calling me.' She had no idea what I was seeing on my phone.

Dianna recalled the moment Demi's assistant told her Demi had overdosed:

I answered the phone and Kelsey was rambling, like she had obviously been through something terrible. She said, 'I need to tell you something. You're going to see a report come out — well it's already come out.' I stopped her and said 'Kelsey, tell me what's going on.' And the next words that came out of her mouth are words that just are so difficult to hear as a parent. She said, 'Demi overdosed.'

Demi's assistant then informed Dianna that she was "conscious, but not talking."

So, I was in shock. I didn't know what to say. It's something that I never, ever expected to hear as as parent about any of my kids. I hesitated to ask, I said, 'Is she ok?' She stopped for a second and said, 'She's conscious, but she's not talking.' I knew at that point we were in trouble.

Dianna said she told her older daughter, Dallas, who offered to drive:

I said, 'Where is she?' She said, 'She's at Cedar-Sinai Hospital.' I said, 'I'll be right there.' I hung up the phone, and Dallas was looking at me and said, 'What's going on?' I said, 'Demi has overdosed. We need to get to the hospital and I don't think I can drive.' Dallas said, 'It's ok. I got you, Mom. Let me get my keys. I'll drive us."

They ran inside and saw Demi, who Dianna said "was in bad shape":

She just didn't look good at all. She was in bad shape. I said to her, 'Demi, I'm here. I love you.' At that point, she said back to me, 'I love you too.'

"We didn't know for two days if she was going to make it or not," she said. "I feel like the reason she's alive today is because of the millions of prayers that went up that day. I don't think she'd be here if hadn't been for those prayers and the good doctors at Cedars-Sinai."

As for the latest, Dianna said, "I can honestly say today that she is doing really well. She's happy, she's healthy, she's working on her sobriety. She's getting the help she needs." Stay strong, Demi!