1. A huge sinkhole opened up under Jeff Bush’s bedroom last Thursday, swallowing him alive.
2. Officials have finally given up hope of finding Bush’s remains and are now filling in the hole with crushed rock.
3. Demoliton crews are working to raze the house, recover what’s left of Bush’s possessions and try to stabilize the shaky ground surrounding the 60-foot deep hole.
4. Florida is especially prone to sinkholes because much of the state sits atop a layer of easily dissolvable limestone rock.
5. The sinkhole situation in Florida is exacerbated by weather patterns shifting quickly from dry to wet.
6. Urban sprawl and well-water drilling have also contributed to the increase of sinkholes in Florida.
7. Many experts agree that “sinkhole season” has just begun.
- Athletes probably won't break records at the Rio Olympics. Scientists say most top performers have reached the limits of human biology.
- Bernie Sanders' former press secretary says she experienced repeated incidents of blatant racism while on the campaign trail.
- Sixteen people died after a hot air balloon caught fire and crashed in Texas Saturday.