2. Last January, a friend of hers who runs a makeup Instagram account called @MakeupByDreigh posted this photo of VanPevenage. “I was having this allergic reaction to benzoyl,” VanPevenage told BuzzFeed News. “I knew I needed help to cover my acne.”
3. A few days later, a Twitter account called @virtuallyvivi, run by a Texas State University student, tweeted VanPevenage’s photo with the caption, “I don’t understand how people can do this and I can’t figure out how to conceal a single pimple on my face.”
5. VanPevenage’s photo was retweeted over 8,000 times.
6. Five days later, a Twitter user from New York, @H_Menace, posted VanPevenage’s face on photo sharing site Moby Picture. VanPevenage’s photo was captioned, “The reason why you gotta take a bitch swimming on the first date.”
8. However, the meme that really stuck and went viral was the one originally tweeted by @virtuallyvivi.
9. After being stolen by @SoDamnTrue, it was picked up by other massive parody accounts, all of which were then retweeted thousands of times.
14. On Tuesday, after months of getting harassed online and seeing how far Irssak’s version of the picture had traveled, VanPevenage decided to post a video to YouTube called “My Response to My Viral Meme.”
- The Clinton campaign is trying to stop television stations from running a pro-Trump ad featuring Michelle Obama.
- A federal jury cleared the leaders of an Oregon standoff. The militia group took over a wildlife refuge last January.
- An airplane carrying Republican VP candidate Mike Pence skidded off the runway at New York City's LaGuardia airport. No one was injured.
- RIP — Vine says it's discontinuing its mobile app, effectively ending the 6-second video service 💀