2. Katie Heim read the poem on Monday afternoon as part of the testimony in front of the Texas Senate’s Health and Human Services Committee.
3. A transcript of her poem:
If my vagina was a gun, you would stand for its rights,
You would ride on buses and fight all the fights.
If my vagina was a gun, you would treat it with care,
You wouldn’t spill all its secrets because, well, why go there.
If my vagina was a gun, you’d say what it holds is private
From cold dead hands we could pry, you surely would riot.
If my vagina was a gun, its rights would all be protected,
no matter the body count or the children affected.
If my vagina was a gun, I could bypass security,
concealed carry laws would ensure I’d have impunity.
If my vagina was a gun, I wouldn’t have to beg you,
I could hunt this great land and do all the things men do.
But my vagina is not a gun, it is a mightier thing,
With a voice that rings true making lawmakers’ ears ring.
Vaginas are not delicate, they are muscular and magic,
So stop messing with mine, with legislation that’s tragic.
My vagina’s here to demand from the source,
Listen to the voices of thousands or feel their full force.
4. Katie went on to clarify her poem’s point on Twitter on Tuesday.
Vaginas v guns; both dangerous. How can your gun be more private than my vagina? #ifmyvaginawasagun
5. And more than a few Twitter users picked it up.
LOLPAC Left Out Loud
#IfMyVaginaWasAGun (the official poem) #UniteBlue #p2 #ConnectTheLeft Please RT to share:
#IfMyVaginaWasAGun is trending and the first thing I though of was that South Park episode with Oprah ..
#IfMyVaginaWasAGun I’d shoot Dave first..
#IfMyVaginaWasAGun I’d be treated like the fuckin Queen I am! Bow…cuz that trigger could get pulled at any time
- The suspect wanted for killing 39 people at an Istanbul nightclub on New Years Day has been captured, Turkish media reports.
- At least 40 Democrats are boycotting Donald Trump's inauguration after the president-elect criticized civil rights leader John Lewis.
- Umm. Over half of the population across 22 countries believe their system is failing and rigged, a new poll says 🌎🤔
- Spencer's Gifts is getting flooded with criticism for selling "Grab America By The Pussy" shirts, which many say normalizes sexual assault.