Earlier this week, a group of about 10 monkeys went on a rampage through the eastern Indonesian village of Toddang Pulu. The gang of monkeys broke into homes, attacking and biting villagers and sending the community into a panic.
A 16-year-old boy was attacked especially badly and is currently hospitalized for monkey bites.
Ambo Ella, a spokesman for Sidendeng Rappang District in South Sulawesi province, told the The Associated Press that it is unclear why the rampage happened, as the local monkey population is usually very afraid of humans.
Ella believes the gang of monkeys might have been protected by a local tribe in a nearby forest.
3. Previously on BuzzFeed’s ongoing Monkey Uprising Watch:
- Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany has for the first time said that she backs proposals for a partial ban on burqas.
- Mike Pence says the next attorney general will decide whether or not federal charges against Michael Slager will remain.
- The UK prison service is suppressing evidence of corruption among its guards which is fueling violence behind bars.
- Grammy nominations are out. Beyoncé has earned 9, including Album of the Year. Drake, Rihanna, and Kanye West each got 8 nods 💿🎶