2. Many who read the profile thought that she was victim-blaming and perpetuating rape culture by putting the responsibility on the victim to protect herself.
3. Her full quote about the Steubenville rape case from her Rolling Stone profile.
“Do you think it was fair, what they got? They did something stupid, but I don’t know. I’m not blaming the girl, but if you’re a 16-year-old and you’re drunk like that, your parents should teach you: don’t take drinks from other people. She’s 16, why was she that drunk where she doesn’t remember? It could have been much worse. She’s lucky. Obviously I don’t know, maybe she wasn’t a virgin, but she shouldn’t have put herself in that position, unless they slipped her something, then that’s different.”
4. After the story was published, the internet erupted with criticism of Williams.
Really Serena? Blame the rape victim. Keep it up. You are a disgrace to ALL WOMEN. @serenawilliams
Serena said “im not blaming the girl” but then proceeded to blame the girl for her own rape b/c she was drunk. Inebriation is NOT consent.
So disappointed in Serena W rn. Victim blaming and slut shaming the Steubenville victim in the same paragraph. Smh
Serena Williams you are a f*cking moron…a shame to women everywhere..how the f*ck can you say this. Smdh
9. Her full response:
“What happened in Steubenville was a real shock for me. I was deeply saddened. For someone to be raped, and at only sixteen, is such a horrible tragedy! For both families involved – that of the rape victim and of the accused. I am currently reaching out to the girl’s family to let her know that I am deeply sorry for what was written in the Rolling Stone article. What was written – what I supposedly said – is insensitive and hurtful, and I by no means would say or insinuate that she was at all to blame.
I have fought all of my career for women’s equality, women’s equal rights, respect in their fields – anything I could do to support women I have done. My prayers and support always goes out to the rape victim. In this case, most especially, to an innocent sixteen year old child.”
- Caitlyn Jenner told President Trump his administration's rollback of protections for transgender kids was a "disaster" 😳
- A Kansas man shot three people after allegedly yelling "get out of my country." He believed two of the victims were Middle Eastern, however they were not.
- The substance used to assassinate the half-brother of North Korea's leader has been identified as VX nerve agent, a chemical listed as a weapon of mass destruction.
- Former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords told Congress to "face your constituents," after a congressman used her 2011 shooting as justification for not holding a town hall.