2. On June 15, Couch caused a drunk driving crash that left four people dead: youth pastor Brian Jennings, 41; mother and daughter Hollie, 52, and Shelby Boyles, 21; and 24-year-old Breanna Mitchell.
3. Couch was driving seven passengers, four of which were thrown from the vehicle. Two were critically injured, including one who remains paralyzed and can only communicate by blinking his eyes.
5. …a condition caused by the wealth of his parents giving him freedoms no young person would be able to handle:
[Psychologist Dr. G. Dick ] Miller said Couch’s parents gave him “freedoms no young person should have.” He called Couch a product of “affluenza,” where his family felt that wealth bought privilege and there was no rational link between behavior and consequences.
He said Couch got whatever he wanted. As an example, Miller said Couch’s parents gave no punishment after police ticketed the then-15-year-old when he was found in a parked pickup with a passed-out and undressed 14-year-old girl.
Miller also pointed out that Couch was allowed to drive at age 13. He said the teen was emotionally flat and needed years of therapy.
6. After it was reported that Couch would receive no jail time, social media exploded, filling with furious updates from users.
These are Ethan Couch’s victims. His legal defense for killing them was that he’s a spoiled brat. #Affluenza
Ethan Couch story is fucking ridiculous. He pleaded guilty to drink driving and manslaughter. Being rich isn’t a disease! Fuck’s sake.
Ethan Couch’s defense is claiming that he can’t go to jail because he is too rich and spoiled to know right from wrong..he killed 4 people
#justice #Wealthy #Texas# teen gets probation for fatal #DWI after using #affluenza defense http://t.co/96Nimv7yxS
Ethan Couch killed more people than Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.
Ethan Couch. I wish I was a 16 year old rich white kid so I could get drunk, crash, kill four people, and only get ten years probation.
Nativity In The Face
Ethan Couch getting off with the “affluenza” defense after killing 4 people is society saying “Ohhhh fuck it, let’s just make it official.”.
There is a known and effective cure for #Affluenza. It’s called jail.
Has anyone heard of #poorfluenza? Oh - my bad #Affluenza.
we filthy #poors are immune to #Affluenza. so there’s that
17. Couch’s defense attorneys suggested that he enter a rehabilitation clinic where he can receive treatment for his wealthy upbringing.
Update: The headline has been changed to make clearer that Couch pled guilty. h/t @sladehv)
- The World Health Organization says there is "no public health justification" for postponing or moving the Rio Olympics because of Zika virus.
- Never mind the $10 million: Donald Trump now says he won't debate "second place finisher" Bernie Sanders.
- No, France has not banned people from sending work emails after hours – no matter how much we all want to believe it 🇫🇷 ✉️